Well, often when running after two rabbits we’ll end up loosing both of them. But no, that saying is not always true and it does not apply here. Usually people find it confusing when they realize that in order to have a family they have to give up their career dreams, or in some cases even their jobs. Actually it’s all about priorities and self control.
If ever confronted with this problem, and no other advice works, try following these stages and maybe you will find the answers you need.
1. Decide if you are ready to have a family.
This is very important. You must take in consideration all aspects, family life means: children, spending time together, support.
If you don’t feel ready and still take this step, your family will end up neglected for sure and you shouldn’t try to follow the next steps unless you are ready.
2. Assuming you have a job, make a work plan and try to share work problems at home.
You might find it unbelievable, but your family can help with your work. They love you and even though they are not specialists in your work area, they will do their best to give the best possible advice.
3. To have a career you have to work harder. Try getting some work home.
When waiting that promotion, you will have lots of unplanned work to do. If you stay and finish it all at the office, your family will barely see you. Try and take home with you what can be taken and at least they will be happy knowing you are next to them, even if you are busy.
4. Keeping a warm atmosphere at home will ease your job.
Do not fight with your family when you come home stressed from work and also do not keep work problems secret from your family. If when you get up in the morning you will be encouraged and leave home contentedly, your job will be a lot easier.
5. When getting a promotion, discuss it at home.Even if it means more work, your family will understand if they are asked first. They don’t want to get in the way of your career and desires, they just want to see you and talk to you every day if possible. But they will let you go work as much as you need and where you need to if you make taking the better job their decision.