Thursday, November 13, 2008

Story Behind The Famous Amos - Secret Recipes

This is a true story.

My daughter and I had just finished a muffin at Famous Amos Café in Bangsar & decided to have some cookies. Because both of us are such a cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Hawaiian Nut Cookie".

It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown "I'm afraid cannot". Well I said, "Would you let me buy the recipe?"

With a cute smile, she said "YES". I asked how much and she responded, "only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I said with approval, "Just add it to my bill"

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Famous Amos and it was RM285.00. I looked again and remembered I had only spent RM9.95 for two muffins and about RM20.00 for a pie. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "cookie recipe - RM250.00". That's outrages!!!

I called the Famous Amos's Accounting Dept. and told them that the waitress said it was "two-fifty", which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any POSSIBLE interpretation of the phrase. Famous Amos refused to budge. They would not refund my money, because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe - we absolutely will not refund your money at this point."

I explain to her the criminal statues which govern fraud in Malaysia . I threatened to refer them to police for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want, we don't care, and we're not refunding your money." I waited for a moment, thinking of how I could get even, or even try to get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you people got my RM2-50.00 , and now I'm going to have a RM250.00 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in Malaysia with an email account has a RM250.00 cookie recipe from Famous Amos...for free... She replied, "I wish you wouldn't do this" I said, "Well you should have thought of that before you stole from me", and slammed down the phone on her.

So, here it is!!! Please, please please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid RM250.00 dollars for this...I don't want Famous Amos to ever get another cent off of this recipe.....

Recipe may be halved:

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal & blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
18 oz. Cadbury bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Method:
- Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda.
- Add chocolate chips, Cadbury bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.. bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 122 cookies..

Have fun trying the recipe !!

This is not a joke - this a true story...Ride free, this isn't some stupid chain letter either..pass it on...if you don't, you won't die or get dumped...you'll just do the world an injustice...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoaa! this is cool. i didn't know famous amos sold their recipes. i thought the dough is pre-made and they jus roll it out to bake here in asia? that's what i see in the singapore stores! haha..

have you tried the recipe? i shall try it out soon! hehe.

Anonymous said...

It's an urban legend.

Anonymous said...

Whenever someone starts with "this is a true story", often times it is not. I really admire the person who takes the time to 'localise' the story.

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp

mykie said...

I actually tried it before last year when I came across this email.

It IS true. But be amazed with the amount of sugar you'll be using!

Diabetes comes from here man.

Anonymous said...

RM250 for so little of information. I won't say it's their fault entirely but the way they talk is very rude. Next time, remember to check the receipt before accepting it. ^^

Yi May, Alexis said...

Thanks for the sharing. I will try when I have time.

Adrian Lim said...

yikes... apparently, i came across such a case before. It was my mum's friend who lives just down the road from my place.

i think she kinda like fell for the same thing. ok lar, shouldn't say fell, maybe misunderstood i guess.

hmmm, however, misunderstood or not, i think they should've understood your situation. i mean, it is customers' priority first after all.

>< considering it to be such a common problem, i think one should start spreading preventive measures such as to notify how expensive famous amos recipes really are.

when i read the part where u said the waitress told u it's "two fifty only!", i immediately had this surge of suspicion. I was practically imagining to be in ur situation and i myself initially thought that wow! two fifty as in 2.50?! cool!

but becuz i'm aware of the real price of famous amos, i soon came to my senses tat she cud probably mean 250 instead of 2.50.

anyways, we can't cry over spilled milk. i'm glad that u didn't, instead play with them and share the recipe to the public! kudos to u :)

on a brighter side, at least from now onwards, one would be more careful with words regardless of how misleading it can be. it makes us think twice before we decide.

hearing this experience from u, it kinda awares me to be more careful myself. thanks for sharing this bit of experience! n also the cool recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

i received a similar email 10 years ago except it is in USD.

i'm not sure whether it's true or not but i know staff are not allowed to share or even sell the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your lovely appreciation for us netizens (:
I am going to try making Famous Amos recipe cookies.
God bless you.

Anonymous said...

this is so so so ridiculous!!! serve them right!

/cool recipe *clap clap*