Thursday, November 15, 2007

Rocky Balboa

“My father is a popular, highly successful boxer. I am constantly walking in his big shadow. So, people can’t see me and they don’t take me seriously. I can’t be successful because of this”

This is the belief of the son of Rocky Balboa. A young man in his twenties, he is not doing well in his career and blames his father for his failure.

But Rocky has this to say to his son :

You ain’t going to believe this. But you used to sit right here. I hold you up and say to your mother, this kid’s going to be the best kid in the world. This kid’s going to be somebody better than anybody I ever knew.

Then you grew up good and wonderful, it was great just watching you everyday. It was like a privilege. Then the time comes for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did.

But somewhere along the line, you changed, you stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you’re no good. And when things got hard you start looking for something to blame – like the big shadow.

Let me tell you something you already knew.

The world, there ain’t no sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place. And I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life.

But it ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.

Now if you know what you are worth, then go out and get what you are worth. But you must be willing to take the hits and not pointing fingers and say you ain’t where you want to be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You are better than that.

I am always going to love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You are my son, you are my blood, you are the best thing in my life.

But until you start believing in yourself, you ain’t gonna have a life.

Most of us deserve this same lecture from Rocky Balboa. Many of us are like his son.
We tend to lay blame or justify our failures so that we don’t feel responsible for our own shortcomings.

Rocky is right in saying, “It ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.”

There is much we can learn from him.

This blog is dedicated to inspire and to motivate. I sincerely invite all visitors to post their comments and share their views. It can be a proverb, an inspirational script from a movie, a motivational quote from a book, or simply sharing an enlightening moment in their lives.

Let’s keep each other inspired and motivated.

Keeping up with this challenging and demanding world will then become less of a burden.

No comments: