Thursday, September 18, 2008

Beware: Children Play Area - Ball Pits

Gotten this from a forwarded email. Wah.... so scary leh...Don't ever let your children play in the ball pit!
McDonalds, Ikea, Go Banannas, Discovery Zone... All places with ball pits in the children's play area.

One of my sons lost his watch, and was very upset. We dug and dug in those balls, trying to find his watch. Instead, we found vomit, food, faeces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss.

I went to the manager and raised hell. Come to find out, the ball pit is only cleaned out once a month.

I have doubts that it is even done that often. My kids will never play in another ball pit. Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces, nephews, grandchildren, or friends with children.

Hi. My name is Lauren Archer. On October 2nd, 1999 I took my only son Kevin to McDonald's for his 3rd birthday. After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit.

When he started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to the back of his pull-up and simply said "Mummy, it hurts." I couldn't find anything wrong with him at that time.

I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock. Upon investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter under the welt.

I made an appointment to see the doctor the next day, but soon he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back into his head. From there, we went to the emergency room. He died later that night.

It turned out that the welt on his Buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle that had broken off inside. The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a heroine overdose.

The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit. There was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full, some used; knives, half-eaten lollies, nappies, faeces, and the stench of urine. (You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10,1999 issue of the Midland Chronicle.) Don't think it's just McDonald's either.

A little boy had been playing in a ball pit @ a Hungry Jacks & started complaining of his legs hurting. He later died too. He was found to have snake bites all over his legs & buttocks. When they cleaned the ball pit they found that there was a copperhead's nest in the ball pit. He had suffered numerous bites from a very poisonous snake.

No comments: