For many reasons, people feel that there is a need to improve their smile. Some to improve career opportunities, some for self confidence, and others to develop and enhance their appearance.
For many individuals, an improved smile can literally transform their lives. An attractive smile plays an important role in a person’s self image. You can interact with your friends better and deal with colleagues and clients confidently when you know you have a beautiful smile.
Sad to say, but surveys show that about 50 percent of Americans are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth, which affects their smile.
Good oral hygiene is vital to achieve a nice smile without having to worry about the condition of your teeth, or even bad breath.
How to effectively brush your teeth:
• Move your toothbrush in a circular gentle scrubbing motion. The outer surfaces of both lower and upper teeth should be thoroughly brushed, keeping the brush bristles slanting toward the “gum line”.
• Scrub all chewing surfaces. The bristles’ tips should clean the surface by using just a small amount of pressure.
• Tilt your brush vertically then use gentle “up and down” strokes when cleaning your “front teeth”.
• Remember to brush your tongue too.
• Always change your toothbrush when bristles become matted or splayed.
• Keep your toothbrush in an open and dry storage area between brushings.
• Use about 18 inches of dental floss, wind it around your middle finger and hold the remaining floss with fingers of the other hand: then start flossing.
• While tightly holding the floss, begin with a very gentle rocking motion, being careful not to hit and injure your gums.
• When your floss reaches the gum line, arch it to form a “C- shape” next to one tooth then slide it in between the gum and the tooth work with a swaying motion, carefully scraping your tooth.
• Do the same for all of your teeth. Replace the floss as needed.
When shopping for dental care products, always look for the ADA “American Dental Association” seal of recognition to determine the product’s effectiveness.
Always purchase toothpaste that is rich in fluoride to prevent cavity formation. Read labels carefully. Use a mouthwash to prevent bad breath, for confidence any time you start a conversation.
Remember to take good care of your teeth and see your dentist at least twice a year to maintain a sparkling smile at all times.