Friday, June 13, 2008

'CLEAR' Button After Using Credit / Debit Card At Pump

I just received an email warning us to press the 'CLEAR' button after every purchase of petrol / gas via credit card machine at pump kiosk.

This is the content of the email, not sure how true it is. But I guess it poses no harm in practising it. Just share this piece of information with your friends might save them from paying extra bucks for others' fuel.

Jim just told me about something that happened to one of his co-workers. She used her credit/debit card to purchase gas at the pump (like most of us do).

She received her receipt like normal. However, when she checked her statement, there were 2 additional $50 charges added in addition to her purchase. Upon investigation, she found out that was because she did not press the 'CLEAR' button at the pump after she finished her purchase, the employees inside the store was able to use her card to purchase for their own gas!

To prevent this from happening, after you get your receipt, you must press the 'CLEAR' button or your information will be stored until the next customer inserts their card.

Be sure to tell all your friends / family members so that this doesn't happen to them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tip! I'm those guilty ones who didn't press the CLEAR button after collecting my receipts. Gotta remind myself from now on. Better be safe than sorry. The last thing we need is an additional RM100 gone on our credit cards from those frauds after the gas hike!

Anonymous said...

Well, it won't be just RM100 then :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw the "Clear button", but I normally used it to cancel my wrongly pressed figure. Will check it out when I pump next time.

Anonymous said...

This information is not accurate

You should always check your facts first before wasting your time posting these things.

I thought you might find the following article from snopes.Com interesting:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clear.asp

I thought you might find the following article from snopes.Com interesting: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clear.asp

Anonymous said...

according to snopes.com and urbanlegends.com this is a hoax. The machine clears when it completes the printing of the reciept.

But it sure seemed exiciting didn't it?