Friday, July 11, 2008

Beware: When You Are Traveling Alone

Gotten this from a forwarded email. I guess no harm to share it with everyone out there. Better be safe than sorry.

----------------------------------------
Ladies, u must read this for safety precautions when staying in a hotel. Please keep in mind when you are traveling alone and forward to female friends and colleagues who may travel alone. To the guys, share this with your sisters and all those women you know. I've always used the menu which hang outside your doorknob to order breakfast when on business trips.

I was recently staying at a well-known hotel and I ordered room service for the next day on the flyer-like thing that you stick outside your door.

On this order form, one writes her name, how many persons will be eating, your room number, time of delivery and etc. I hung it on the outside of my door for collection - it was a mistake! I had given someone all the ammunition that he would need.

That someone went to my door-tag got my name and room number. And then told the front desk that he was my husband (remember my tag showed 1 female name) and that he needed a new key. The clerk WITHOUT ASKING FOR ID OR CALLING MY ROOM GAVE HIM MY ROOM KEY!

At 2 a.m . I was awakened by my door opening (luckily I had put the security bar across) with a man's hand trying to figure out how to get the bar undone. I started yelling at him and told him that I was on the phone with the police. He shut the door and left. I called down to the lobby and spoke with the Front Desk - I wanted to alert Security about the incident.

The hotel staff person said and I quote, 'Oops, sorry about that' then hung up.
Well, let's just say that I was both terrified and angry the rest of the night. Next morning, I spoke with a Hotel Manager whose eyes almost popped out of his head when he learned that his clerk had given an unidentified stranger a key to my room. Am I glad that I am typing this to all of you with my 2 year old kid on my lap. I don't want to think of what might have happened if the safety chain/bar had not been secured.

----------------------------------------

No comments: